1st gen VR4 aftermarket down pipe.

If it ain't broke lets fix it: tech discussions only. repair, mod, etc.

Moderators: lamoz, bboyalan

AyoAdrian
Site Supporter

1st gen VR4 aftermarket down pipe.

Postby AyoAdrian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:06 pm

Any good ones out there? Preferably one that deletes the front pre-cat.
91' BPU+ Monza red VR4: The weekend ride
93' Fiji blue SL: The daily driver

bboyalan
Elite Site Supporter

Re: 1st gen VR4 aftermarket down pipe.

Postby bboyalan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Hehe as we were discussing on FB, the first-gen Stillen is the best front+main eliminating downpipe available sans no flex section. This just means that you either need solid/poly/3M-filled mounts and/or flex added.

The best "shorty" units, IMO, are the old "bob melton" (rdmelton) and ATR downpipes; these both have swivel flanges to boot! Having a gutted front is "easier" to work with (again, IMO) and helps with visual for w/e that is worth.

ATR Exhaust System <<

Bob Melton Downpipe and Repair Section Review... << There is a dedicated page somewhere with pictures of his product. I have my own pics too.
3/S Street Tuner :-) San Diego's fastest, daily-driven Panda VR-4 - fully gutted with lots of deletes!
'10 EVO X SE - AEM WMI, COBB SF, K&N UICP, GReddy Type R BOV recirculated & Tomei Titanium CBE - 300//350 on 91+Meth
'92 VR-4 - Panda v.3 build featuring AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, and race/methanol goodness ;)
v.2 previously: est. 550AWHP VD U/C with Phantoms @24-25psi on Pump-E85, BC264's, and GReddy EMU
"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

AyoAdrian
Site Supporter

Postby AyoAdrian » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:10 pm

bboyalan wrote:Hehe as we were discussing on FB, the first-gen Stillen is the best front+main eliminating downpipe available sans no flex section. This just means that you either need solid/poly/3M-filled mounts and/or flex added.

The best "shorty" units, IMO, are the old "bob melton" (rdmelton) and ATR downpipes; these both have swivel flanges to boot! Having a gutted front is "easier" to work with (again, IMO) and helps with visual for w/e that is worth.

ATR Exhaust System <<

Bob Melton Downpipe and Repair Section Review... << There is a dedicated page somewhere with pictures of his product. I have my own pics too.

Good info! Well I'm planing to purchase some poly motor mounts. Would it be wise to also add a flex section or is the polys good enough? Doesn't IPS have one with a flex?
I think I've only seen his DPs in the classifieds section like once in all my years lol. My current DP (no idea what brand it is) eliminates the front pre-cat and has a flex section. While having a shorty might be easier to remove, I'd like to just get rid if that front mofo :) lol.

bboyalan
Elite Site Supporter

Postby bboyalan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:39 am

IMO, I would say it depends on the shore and quality of the polyurethane mounts. My custom Hyper-Flex units were pretty harsh, but I still kept a very small flex section on my modified Stillen. Previously, I just had 3M Window-Welded stock mounts (Hyro and Jordan currently have this too, fyi).

Stay away from the IPS unit lol. It fits like crap. Ask Mark and Jordan lol... or better yet! I will tell them to chime in here :-)
3/S Street Tuner :-) San Diego's fastest, daily-driven Panda VR-4 - fully gutted with lots of deletes!
'10 EVO X SE - AEM WMI, COBB SF, K&N UICP, GReddy Type R BOV recirculated & Tomei Titanium CBE - 300//350 on 91+Meth
'92 VR-4 - Panda v.3 build featuring AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, and race/methanol goodness ;)
v.2 previously: est. 550AWHP VD U/C with Phantoms @24-25psi on Pump-E85, BC264's, and GReddy EMU

jroe123

Postby jroe123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 am

Window weld is the shit, liquid urethane $20 for a tube and you need about 1.5 tubes but same results for much cheaper.

BCM VR-4
Postus Whorus Maximus I

Postby BCM VR-4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 pm

I bought the 3sx one with the rear pre cat delete. Worked out for me.

Also, I think I have an stillen dp or art laying around. I have a couple on the side of the house not sure if you'd be interested and they may not even be stllen. PM me or something.

AyoAdrian
Site Supporter

Postby AyoAdrian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks guys! That settles it, now starts the hunt for a Stillen down pipe lol. I'll be adding a flex section just as an extra precaution.
Ive read people using that stuff. I may end up doing that because I can't justify spending $300++ for some simple mounts lol. How did you like your window welded mounts Al?

AyoAdrian
Site Supporter

Postby AyoAdrian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 pm

BCM VR-4 wrote:I bought the 3sx one with the rear pre cat delete. Worked out for me.

Also, I think I have an stillen dp or art laying around. I have a couple on the side of the house not sure if you'd be interested and they may not even be stllen. PM me or something.

PM'ed :)

bboyalan
Elite Site Supporter

Postby bboyalan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 pm

The 3SX one is okay but still much better than IPS. Mark's '99 also has the 3SX rear eliminator + 3SX DP, and I installed the 3SX DP on Rob's VR-4. You should know that it is still a "shorty" style with swivel flanges that are, IMO, thicker than they should be. Bonus is that a flex section is included, but you will need a bung added for a wideband sensor.

AyoAdrian
Site Supporter

Postby AyoAdrian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:48 pm

bboyalan wrote:The 3SX one is okay but still much better than IPS. Mark's '99 also has the 3SX rear eliminator + 3SX DP, and I installed the 3SX DP on Rob's VR-4. You should know that it is still a "shorty" style with swivel flanges that are, IMO, thicker than they should be. Bonus is that a flex section is included, but you will need a bung added for a wideband sensor.

Hmm then that means that I have to get a front pre-cat if I choose to get the 3sx one. My rear pre-cat is gutted (at least thats what I was told) so no need for the eliminator :). Plus, I heard its a bitch to remove the rear pre-cat lol.

AyoAdrian
Site Supporter

Postby AyoAdrian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:49 pm

I've been reading old reviews on the IPS one. They're not so good lol. Fitment issues and what not.

vr4flyer
Postus Whorus Maximus I

Postby vr4flyer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:43 pm

BCM VR-4 wrote:I bought the 3sx one with the rear pre cat delete. Worked out for me.

Do you have one that would fit a 2nd gen? Both pre-cats are gutted on my 97vr4. Thinking about putting a DP and putting the tanabe hyper medallion that's not doing anything from my 92vr4.
1992 white vr4 Bought 2005 On jack stands
1997 Black vr4 Bought 2008
1989 Red 240sx Bought 2006 Sold
1997 white SL ATX bought 2016

BCM VR-4
Postus Whorus Maximus I

Postby BCM VR-4 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:59 am

No second gen. Sorry.

vr4flyer
Postus Whorus Maximus I